Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Monday, May 3, 2010

Diggin' deep and moving forward

Bermuda End-to-End 2010 - Been there, done the 24.1 miles, got the t-shirt, the medal, a cap... oh and a mini fan that also squirts water. So all this pain was definitely worth it. Had a fab day out glory hunting today. I am barely able to shuffle but rather than strange looks, in the garage, the supermarket, I've got knowing nods of admiration. Shuffled myself to the Willowstream spa this afternoon for a pedicure and a snooze on a sunlounger with a view. I think surgery might have been a better call considering I have a toe that has been replaced by one big blister, but got some more admiration seated in my throne/pedi chair.

The End-to-End seems to be a rite of passage here. It has been going for over 20 years and each year thousands trek from the most Easterly point of the island to the western tip all in the name of charidee. The dollars and cents haven't been counted yet but last year over $300,000 was raised for local charities and this year is likely to be in the same region. It's not just walkers, there's runners, cyclers, horse riders, swimmers, rowers and I even spotted an inline skater. And many a Bermudian family sets up camp on the road for the day to cheer on the troops with hollers of  "you go girls", "looking goooood ladies" etc etc. It's nice and makes you smile when crying seems like a good option.






Also to keep you going are the water stops manned by various corporate sponsors who pull out all the stops. It's a tough call but I think my favourite had to be the Catlin halfway point stop, complete with limbo pole, stereo on loooouuud and a selection of danish pastries. Oh yum. Closely followed by M3 with the sarnie stand at 19 miles. Never has a cheese sandwich tasted soooo good. 



Least favourite point has got to be 16-mile mark when over 4 hours in, there's still 8 miles to go and you are no longer able to stop at the stops as when you start again the burning balls are just too much to bear. So the stops near the end become cruel torture. As fundraisers go though it 's nothing out of the ordinary, a physical challenge with a nice backdrop. 

Unlike this unique fundraiser that caught my eye... "The Flamingo Flocking Fundraiser" was launched this week by the Premier and OMG it's briiliant. Working in PR, I thought I'd seen it all but this just goes beyond! Raising money for the Bermuda Aquarium Musuem and Zoo, you can sponsor a flock of plastic flamingoes to both surprise and delight friends, family, secret admirees by getting them erected in their garden. Can't help thinking that Beadle's had a hand(!) in this this from beyond the grave. If anyone would like to  surprise and delight me, my housemates and no doubt my landlady, it's $50 and the flamingo flocking hotline is +1 441 293-4464 extension 130!! Definitely won't be taking out an anti-flocking insurance policy!! Only in Bermuda...






No comments:

Post a Comment