Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hustling

So for the next eight weeks on a Monday eve, I will mainly be hustling. Not 'making money doing something slight shady' as defined by Urban Dictionary, but dancing, 1970s NYC stylee disco. And it goes a little something like this...


Despite discovering many, many skill strengths in lesson one, I have discovered one major 'development point', I simply can't be led. I think this stems from listening to far too many Alanis Morisette and Destiny's Child lyrics. I'm all "the dance shoes on my feet, I bought 'em" when I should be all submissive. I need to learn how to be twirled... without trying to take over.

Meanwhile in salsa class I have progressed since xmas to the dizzy heights of 'Beginners 3' (thanks to Sabor Dance School!), which basically means I'm almost ready to be a backing dancer for J'Lo or in reality I can spin without falling over or head-butting my partner and I sometimes even end up on the right foot. Genius!

There is something about being an expat that makes you want to upskill even if the hustle or salsa are not particularly in-keeping with Bermudian tradition. Although I don't think gombey dancing is really me.
I'm also taking tennis lessons but more of that another time. Something to look forward to y'all.

For now I must rest these sweet dancin feet as on Saturday I am mainly walking for 8hrs in the annual Bermuda End-to-End, a mere 24.1 mile stroll from East to West. Right on that note, off I go for my nightly surgical spirits foot bath. Thou shall not blister!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment