Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Peppercorns and tasers

Two of this week's headline news items demonstrate how (really) old and new co-exist here on the island, with the annual Peppercorn Ceremony and the introduction of taser guns by the police force.


(Thanks for the pic Bernews, more pics at: http://bernews.com/2010/04/photos-peppercorn-ceremony/ )

I've never seen anything like this Peppercorn ritual and I challenge anyone to name a stranger custom, although admittedly morris dancing and may poles are pretty weird. For the last 398 years, spectators in their hundreds and a few Ministers turn up to Bermuda oldest town, St. George's, to watch. Pretty impressive considering Big Brother lasted only ten years in the UK after the format become tired and audiences dwindled. They come to see Freemasons pay the Governor of Bermuda for a year's rent of Old State House, with... yes you've guessed it, a peppercorn! Pretty good deal considering the rest of us pay around $1,500 a month in a flat share. The strange episode was marked with a 17 shot gun salute.

And with that seamless link I move onto my next item, stun guns! One in every three police officers in Bermuda will now be armed with a taser as local gang warfare gets out of hand. I don't think it will be long before they have to up the stakes even further. In court this week was the case of a guy allegedly attacked by six men with a cane, a machete and an electric drill in some kind of revenge mission. Apparently he had holes drilled behind his ears and in his chest. When I first heard this on my radio alarm, I was still half asleep and thought I was hearing things but alas it was real and took place about ten miles away. Thanks for tuning in, don't have nightmares and do sleep well...






No comments:

Post a Comment