Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter on zee island

Easter weekend marks my rise from everyday life to the bloggersphere. I can't call it a resurrection, despite how timely that would be, as hey it's my first time, but I'm here in a new spirit to share expat tales from Ali in wonderland! It's been a mad easter bonneter's tea party on the island, complete with bizarre traditions, plenty of characters, overshadowed by evil.

We feasted on fish cakes in hot cross buns (still a little unsure about that one), drank gallons of dark 'n' stormy at the first ominous booze cruise of the 2010 season and flew kites on Good Friday at Horseshoe Bay as a symbol of the ascension of Christ. 

I thought it a perfect time to play the religion tourist and attend my first Catholic mass. Having been christened but not being a church goer, it was a new and interesting experience for me! Seeming as Bermuda boasts more churches per square mile than anywhere else in the world, I kinda wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so went along with my Scottish housemate. Such a warm atmosphere with a chorus of "happy easters" throughout the sunny church. There is also something really heartwarming about the phrase "peace be with you", a notion that a few individuals could do with embracing across the island.

This weekend saw the 41st and 42nd shootings of 2010, yep that's almost one on every other of the 94 days of the year we've had so far. Number 41 was particularly shocking, in broad daylight at a school's  fun day as the victim was flying a kite with his children. Sure there's nothing new about, seemingly gang-related, gun violence but what makes the figures particularly shocking in this case is the fact that Bermuda's population is estimated at around only 67,000, so that's one shooting for every 1,593 people. Compare that to New York, gang capital of America, which has seen 293 people hit by bullets this year, one in every 279,863 of its 8.2 million population. Scary huh. That said, until an expat is involved I don't think it will become a real life threat for our overseas workers' community, although it is beginning to look like only a matter of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment