Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A mobile library, super-sized

Today on my lunch break I went shopping for a new book. Zzzzzzzz. What's interesting about that I hear you cry. Well, it was on a 132 metre cargo ship so that's a little out of the ordinary isn't it. Meet Logos Hope, the world's largest floating bookstore! This project brings a whole new meaning to the term mobile library. I remember the days when a mini-van arrived at school and it was exciting. That wasn't even that long ago as I'm still under 30, just.

Staffed by a multi-cultural volunteer crew, Logos Hope sailed into Hamilton Harbour last night from the Bahamas. It basically circumnavigates the globe selling books at lower than usual retail costs in the hope of spreading access to knowledge. How nice! Naturally the local bookstores were a little peeved with the competition, as it's a bit like Borders opening up next door, or the closest thing to it as Bermuda keeps the big chains out. No Golden arches or Starbucks here. Only Colonel Sanders was lucky enough to sneak in with his greasy buckets, owing to the Bermudians' love of fried chicken.

It's times like these when I am reminded a live on a tiny island dependent on imports. Bermuda imports 80 percent of its food supplies and quite often you can tell that iceberg lettuce has been at sea for a week, it looks sea sick, a funny shade of green and a little limp. The jolly green giant has failed to seal the freshness into this supply chain.

Talking of untimely deliveries... two babies were born in cars on the island this week. One of them outside a bank on the main strip of bars at closing time in the wee small hours of Sunday. I was tucked up in bed, but if I had witnessed that scene I might put it down to a extra strong Rum Swizzle and think my eyes were deceiving me. Perhaps I did really see a giant, fairy-lit onion fall from a crane or HMS Bounty, star of Pirates of the Caribbean, docked in the harbour. Actually both of these are true. O'er my hearties, the strangest things happen here in the Bermuda triangle!!




No comments:

Post a Comment