Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Heroes, Heroines, Elmo & a Pirate

Here's a conundrum for y'all.... what do Elmo, three kites, soca music, a pirate, BELCO bird (the local energy company's mascot) and a lone jazz saxophonist have in common? Why of course, they were all part of Bermuda's Heroes' Day celebrations today at Fort St. Catherine's beach. To be honest I don't think it's supposed to make sense so I won't waste any time trying to explain it. But it was something to do on an overcast public holiday and I even managed to get some new tan lines. Bonus. 


As for the actual heroes, three more were named to join, up till now, Bermuda's only hero of Heroes' Day, Dame Lois Browne Evans.  Dame Lois broke many racial and gender barriers as the island's first female lawyer, black female MP and female Attorney General, so I guess she was a pretty hard act to match and indeed it's taken a few years to find some. At an official ceremony yesterday, the roles of trade union pioneer, Dr. E. F. Gordon; political, social and economic trailblazer Sir Henry Tucker and civil rights champion, Dr. Pauulu Kamarakego (Dr. Roosevelt Brown), in shaping modern Bermuda were recognised when they were inducted as national heroes.


Meanwhile, in honour of heroes closer to home, a number of father and son teams came together for the first-ever Father’s Day Barbeque Cook-off, which the organisers hope will become an annual event. A team from Flamz Bar & Grill brought home the bacon. Arguably with their too-hot-too-handle grilling skills, these contenders have done just as much to shape modern Bermuda as any politician, with an emphasis on the hips and belly. 




My hero award this week goes to HSBC (never thought I see the day I'd be saying that) following a corporate social responsibility project that is actually making a difference. Following an in-depth restoration project the bank helped open another acre of the beautiful Cooper’s Island Nature Reserve to the public. When you've only got 21 square miles to explore, another acre of adventure is a welcome addition. The reserve is home to my favourite beach, the imaginatively titled, Long Beach. I've leave you with a long (panoramic) photo in it's honour...








No comments:

Post a Comment