Most people start writing on day one of a new adventure, I'm starting a year after relocating to Bermuda. What can I say... I've been busy with the day job! Contrary to the belief of many close pals, I'm not in the Caribbean, but in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I'm a Brit in a far flung, little heard of corner of ye ol' British Empire but rather than this being a home from home, life as an expat couldn't be stranger than out here in the triangle...

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Whirlwind romance

Blogging hell!! Where does the time go? It's been 12 days since my last post and I don't even know how that happened - no vacay excuse or whirlwind romance (despite the title of this post) to blame this time. Just the usual heady cocktail of cocktails by the harbour, gym, tan, laundry, however as this isn't the Jersey Shore, there's also sadly been some work tucked in there. Boo. 


Since I last posted two of my close friends from home have had babies, which has got me thinking that I might never be able to have children. Panic not parentals, I'm joking I hope! Although as this blog is supposed to be my baby and my inability to feed it with posts and tend to its cries for attention has got me a little concerned that I may be a commitment-phobe. 


I am however once again in the throngs of my love affair with my island. We are like a celebrity couple, this time each year we renew our vows of undying love for each other before the winter brings it's inevitable rock(y) fever patch. Since we last spoke, summer has arrived in all its glory. My third, how did that happen?! So I'm fully versed with the way it works. Hence forth, no point ever spending any time on my hair, trying to dry myself after a shower, getting antsy about those pesky ants or even feigning mock surprise to find mould on any item of my summer wardrobe. These pursuits are fruitless and just detract from the pleasure of a warm summer evening's run along the little lanes with their pastel pink walled edged with white icing and passing the sands of time with a good read on one of the many the bitchin' beaches. 




Yes me and Bermuda are back in our honeymoon phase and appears there is more than two of us in this relationship. A lot more than two if this CNN.com article has anything to do with it. It list Bermuda alongside Fiji, French Polynesia, Italy and Bali as a hot honeymoon destination due to its combined "close-knit community feel and exotic flavor". In case you don't believe me (or CNN.com) about the beauty of Bermuda in full summer swing, check out this slide show that the site featured only last month.


This charming honeymoon pic of Lori & Johnny Inguanzo enjoying their honeymoon in Bermuda was entered into Elbow Beach hotel's recent Facebook page comp. All together now, arrrrhhhh!




But before the honeymoon comes the whirlwind romance, or to be more precise the start of hurricane season on June 1. Bermuda's stormy season lasts right up until the end of November and if the forecasts are anything to go by we are in for a rough ride! Multiple sources are predicting a busier than average season. The official US forecast, issued last month by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, was for 12-18 named storms, with 6-10 becoming hurricanes and 3-6 growing into major systems. 


But we're ready for ya! According to local insurer, the Argus Group, Bermuda's residents do a good job of making the necessary preparations to lessen the blow of hurricanes in terms of damage to people or property. The closest we came last year was the mighty Igor but we were lucky that it was downgraded to a Category 1 storm before it reached the island rather than the Category 3 that had been expected. 


I end with another tribute to Bermuda's island charm to woo wedding guests and honeymooners alike. Either that or a serious statement about the state of the local education system. Rose-tinted specs or prescription reading (and spelling) glasses required, you decide...






No comments:

Post a Comment